People come for massage for different reasons but some of the reported benefits during pregnancy include:
- Relaxation - massage during pregnancy helps to stop the build up of tension, especially in the neck and shoulders. Tension in the lower back, caused by the extra weight of the baby particularly in the later stages of pregnancy, can also be alleviated.
- Feel Uplifted and Revitalised - massage increases the flow of endorphins and minimises the fatigue often felt at the beginning and end of pregnancy.
- Improve circulation and stimulation of lymphatic drainage - especially important because of the increased tendency to retain fluid in the ankles and feet.
- Maintain skin suppleness and elasticity, helping to prevent or minimise stretch marks which often appear around the fifth month.
- And very importantly... massage induces a feeling of well-being, helping to keep you relaxed and in harmony... perhaps the best preparation for the birth!
- Relief of aches and pains that can be caused by distended ligaments and the tendency to cramp.
Hormone surges, nausea, morning sickness and extreme tiredness can be helped by being kind to yourself...warm relaxing baths, lots of sleep and peppermint or chamomile team can also help with morning sickness. If you are suffering with constipation, perhaps ask your partner or a good friend to rub your lower back in a gentle clockwise direction!
Once you are into your 2nd trimester (weeks 13 to 26) you can start to massage your belly, breasts and thighs with a good quality massage oil to prevent stretch marks. In your 3rd trimester (weeks 27-40) the extra weight puts pressure on the back, legs and feet so professional massage can help with any discomfort and swelling as well as general relaxation, rest and peace!
Please contact me on 07740 432986 or [email protected] to discuss your requirements and book your appointments.
PLEASE NOTE: It is advisable to plan your treatments well in advance as typically the appointment book is full 4-6 weeks ahead.